Skip to Content
Saluda Fire-Rescue

History

The Saluda Fire Department was established in the early 1900s. The first station was on Main St. where City Hall is currently located. Pictured below is a 1928 Chevrolet Fire Truck, the first apparatus owned by our department. This picture was taken in 1936.

Downtown Saluda 1910

After WWII J.A. Nabors (President) and Nolan Pace (secretary-treasurer) started a movement to buy a new American LaFrance Pumper for $30,000. Through subscriptions in the community, dances, and other fund-raising efforts, they were able to raise the neccessary funds.

In 1970 the department moved to a location on Greenville St. where the Saluda Center is currently located.